Drones have become very popular ever since they were made available commercially to consumers. Radio-controlled aircraft is nothing new; however, drones are not the same as flying planes or helicopters. For one, they’re much more comfortable to fly. Moreover, the inbuilt balance of drones, together with futuristic camera technology, has allowed people to capture aerial views.
There is a drone to thank every time you see a wildlife documentary or a movie with beautiful aerial views of the city. So it’s no wonder that you are interested in capturing some stunning shots and footage of your own. And so drones are becoming popular and more affordable.
There are a few things you have to know before you purchase your very first drone.
Features To Consider When Buying a Drone
- Price: Until you get the hang of flying, you are better off purchasing a cheap drone. Also, make sure you compare the features of the drone to get the features you require. It will save you from paying a premium to install those features.
- Flying should be Easy: In the beginning, you need a drone that is easy to fly. After that, you can move on to something a bit stimulating more once you’ve got the hang of it. Try to get a drone that has Hover Mode(can hover in a single spot). They are easier to fly because you don’t have to keep adjusting your controls to keep them afloat. A Headless feature in drones can also be useful. You will not get confused in which way the drone is facing, which could result in sending it in the wrong direction.
- Quality of Camera: If you are looking to take pictures, make sure you get a drone with a camera that has a higher resolution, at least 1280×720. A drone camera also offers FPV (First Person View). It means it can transmit live video to a screen on the controller or your mobile. With that, you will be able to see what you are filming. However, A drone with a high-quality camera will add a considerable amount to your budget.
- Battery Life and Charging Time: Battery life can be different in all drones; most of them have short battery life. It is best to have one extra battery as they do take some time to charge. A drone’s flying time is usually around 5-8 mins per battery. And because charge time varies from 1-2 hours, it is best to have several batteries.
- Range of Flight: Flight range is the distance the drone can fly away from you. Keep in mind that you have your drone in your line of sight when flying. If you have a quadcopter or a mini drone, a range of 30-50 meters is enough.
- Reliability and Robustness: A manufacturer’s experience in making drones is shown in the quality of their product. Their choice of parts and installation of software makes them different from others in the same field. Make sure you purchase from such manufacturers that have been around for some time and have a record of good quality drones.
- Availability of Spares. Many drones come with their own spare set of rotors. But these get over very quickly, so choose a drone whose spare parts can be easily obtained. It will be cheery on top if you find extra batteries that are cheap. You will need a lot of those to enjoy a longer flying time.
So, why exactly do we recommend that you start with a cheap drone? Well, while your flying takes an upward curve, your drone will crash a lot. And because gravity doesn’t forgive, it will break into many pieces.
However, some drones are meant for indoor uses, but they react to controls the same way as their expensive counterparts. Use these to learn how to fly inside the safety of your house. There are also some amazing large drones available for cheap, which do offer features like the hover and headless mode, giving you a bit of experience on how to fly an expensive drone.
How Do You Know Which Drone Is Right For You?
There is a lot to consider when buying a drone. It’s just not as simple as entering a store, picking up the first one you see, and starting to fly. You will have to consider all the factors mentioned above before you make a purchase decision and later, when you begin to use your new drone. With so much to consider, this may start looking like a job than a hobby.
However, a bit of research and consideration is required before making any purchase. But it certainly won’t be a waste of your time. Once you find the right drone for yourself, you will be glad you put in the extra effort.
Flying drones is fun. It can also give you photos and footage that you won’t be able to get in any other way. There is a reason why drones have become increasingly popular and why there is so much money invested in building drone technology because they are superior to modern aircraft.
So spend some time in your research and pick the drone that’s right for you. Have a conversation with experienced drone flyers, read online reviews. Give some thought to how and where you will be using your drone. A drone for a crowded city is different from one meant for lots of open space. However, there is a drone out there for you; all you need to do is find it.